Submissions for the 2018 LHP Poetry Contest should be in conversation with the LHP 2018 theme: Read Ritual.
Rituals create space for change and heighten our engagement with the world in a myriad of forms, including personal and community change. Rituals open possibilities and evolution, sustain us in our work, our lives, and in a variety of spaces as change agents. Ritual is a means by which we can manifest health, creation and vibrancy. What rituals sustain you? In your writing? In your work? In your relationships? In crisis? In joy?
Locked Horn Press welcomes poems to consider for our publication prize in Read Ritual: An Anthology. Whether writing in relation to personal, communal, or the work required to manifest new ways of seeing, thinking and empowering change required to sustain life in all of its forms, we hope this call moves you to respond by sending us work.
- LHP poetry editors seek a wide range of styles, approaches, forms, diversities, and aesthetics (for example: lyric, prose poems, experimental, etc.).
- All submissions should be no more than three poems, up to a total page maximum of seven pages. Unless purposefully formatted in an experimental fashion, we ask that each new poem start on a new page. Please DO NOT include acknowledgements.
- There are no citizenship requirements or limitations. We encourage international submissions.
- We accept online submissions. Any submission emailed or postal mailed to LHP will be recycled without notice. Exception: Those with visual impairment, who find it difficult to navigate the Submittable system, may email their submission via our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Emailed submissions must adhere to published guidelines, the email subject line must read "ADA Submission + Artist Name," and a $10 payment must be submitted through Paypal using the "donation" button on our website. Please email us with any questions or concerns. LHP is committed to accessibility for all artists.
- Manuscripts must be in English, although it is perfectly acceptable to include some text in other languages.
- Manuscript submissions for all contests must be original. (If you include quotes from other works in your manuscript, please be sure they are clearly attributed to the author either on the same page or in a “Notes” section at the back of the manuscript.)
- Manuscripts must be previously unpublished, although individual poems in a manuscript are still eligible for this contest if they have been previously published in print or web magazines, journals, anthologies, on a personal web site, or in a chapbook of no more than 48 pages.
- Simultaneous submissions to other contests and multiple submissions to this or other LHP contests are perfectly acceptable. Please send us an email to let us know if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- If you are submitting a poetry manuscript that includes photographs or other graphic images please request additional guidelines by sending an Email to email@example.com.
- All contests are blind, so do not use your name in your poetry. Your name should not appear anywhere in the submitted manuscript. The only place your name should appear is in the online form you complete in Submittable.
- Revisions are not allowed to a manuscript after it has been submitted to the contest. However, the winning poet will have time to revise the manuscript before publication. We reserve the right to approve changes if those revisions are significant.
- Translations ARE ELIGIBLE. If submitting translations, please also submit the poems in their original language, as well as documentation that you have been granted permission from the original author to translate the work.
- Collaborative projects are welcome.
- NOT ELIGIBLE: Past and present LHP staff and interns.
- Artists retain copyright for all work we publish.
The winner will receive: $250 and 2 contributor copies, along with print and online publication.
Reading fee is $10.
All work will be considered for publication.