LHP encourages new and established writers to submit work that speaks to the concept of URGENCY. As a press dedicated to publishing work that hinges on the intersectional possibilities of conflict, we strive to bring urgent voices into focus. We look forward to experiencing your finest, solidly edited work for consideration.
- LHP poetry editors seek a wide range of styles, approaches, forms, diversities, and aesthetics (for example: lyric, prose poems, experimental, etc.).
- All submissions should be 20-40 poem pages. Additionally, please include a title page, page numbers, and a table of contents. Unless purposefully formatted in an experimental fashion, we ask that each new poem start on a new page. Please DO NOT include acknowledgements.
- There are no citizenship requirements or limitations. We encourage international submissions.
- We accept online submissions. Any submission emailed or postal mailed to LHP will be recycled without notice. Exception: Those with visual impairment, who find it difficult to navigate the Submittable system, may email their submission via our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Emailed submissions must adhere to published guidelines, the email subject line must read "ADA Submission + Artist Name," and a $12 payment must be submitted through Paypal using the "donation" button on our website. Please email us with any questions or concerns. LHP is committed to accessibility for all artists.
- Manuscripts must be in English, although it is perfectly acceptable to include some text in other languages.
- Manuscript submissions for all contests must be original. (If you include quotes from other works in your manuscript, please be sure they are clearly attributed to the author either on the same page or in a “Notes” section at the back of the manuscript.)
- Manuscripts must be previously unpublished, although individual poems in a manuscript are still eligible for this contest if they have been previously published in print or web magazines, journals, anthologies, on a personal web site, or in a chapbook of no more than 48 pages.
- Simultaneous submissions to other contests and multiple submissions to this or other LHP contests are perfectly acceptable. Please send us an email to let us know if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- If you are submitting a poetry manuscript that includes photographs or other graphic images please request additional guidelines by sending an Email to email@example.com.
- All contests are blind, so do not use your name in your poetry. Your name should not appear anywhere in the submitted manuscript. The only place your name should appear is in the online form you complete in Submittable.
- Revisions are not allowed to a manuscript after it has been submitted to the contest. However, the winning poet will have time to revise the manuscript before publication. We reserve the right to approve changes if those revisions are significant.
- Translations ARE ELIGIBLE. If we accept your translations, we require you to also submit the poems in their original language, as well as documentation that you have been granted permission from the original author to translate the work.
- Collaborative projects are welcome.
- NOT ELIGIBLE: Past and present LHP staff and interns.
- Artists retain copyright for all work we publish.
Reading fee: $12